Korean Fried Chicken has gained global popularity within the last few years. There are several different varieties, but “gochuchang” is one of the OG flavors. Gochuchang is a fermented red chili paste that envelopes sweet, spicy, salty, and savory, all in one. For this reason, it is a go-to flavor profile for “anju,” or “bar bite,” because it pairs perfectly with beer and soju. This recipe is one of my favorites. The chicken is twice fried, which makes it twice as crunchy and delicious. It’s makes for the perfect appetizer and will be the star of any sports viewing party menu. It can also easily become a full blown meal within itself. I personally love eating Korean Fried Chicken with White Radish Kimchi, as the sweet acidity cuts through the level of spice and adds a refreshing element to this otherwise savory dish (as pictured above).
5lb Chicken Wings
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Chili Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Rice Starch
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1/4 Cup Korean Red Bean Paste (“Gochujang”)
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup Rice Syrup
5 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
5 Cloves of Garlic, sliced
1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, chopped
2 Jalapeno Peppers, chopped
1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Chopped Green Onion, for garnish
1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds, for garnish
1. Fill deep pot with vegetable oil and heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Rinse chicken with cool water, pat dry, and place on a paper towel covered plate. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, rice starch, baking soda, chili pepper, salt, pepper, and egg. Toss in chicken and let sit for ~15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat oil on medium high and add garlic and ginger. Stir frequently until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add red bean paste, ketchup, rice syrup, jalapeño peppers, and rice vinegar. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
5. Once the oil is ready, carefully fry chicken wings for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel covered plate.
6. Repeat step 5 for second fry, but fry for ~4 minutes or until deep golden brown.
7. Toss chicken in sauce
8. Transfer to a plate and garnish with green onion and sesame seeds